At 1329 hours on Friday, Jacksonville was alerted to respond as a mutual aid request for a reported detached garage on fire on Furnace Road in Jarrettsville’s first-due area. Engine 473 responded on the initial call. While still enroute, units reported a heavy column of smoke from a distance. Engine 1312 and Engine 712 arrived a few minutes later to find a two story dwelling with a fully involved garage that was attached to the house. Engine 473 arrived within a minute of the first companies and worked to pull additional attack lines and keep the fire from spreading throughout the house. The crew also operated in the attic checking for any extension in the upper levels but found none. Command requested two additional engines and an additional truck. This brought Jacksonville’s Engine 471. A quick knock-down by all crews saved the fire from engulfing the entire house. The fire was reported under control at 1353 hours. The dwelling suffered only minor smoke damage. Units worked together performing salvage and overhaul operations for approximately 2.5 hours until finally clearing at 1604 hours. The MD State Fire Marshal's Officer determined the cause of the fire to be from the homeowner placing hot ashes into a plastic trash can in the garage.
January 18th, 2008
Both Engines Respond to Dwelling Fire in Jarrettsville (Harford County Fire Box 704)
Jacksonville Units: E471, E473
Other Units: E711, E712, E713, E714, SU781, A761, M791, E312, E315, T1331, T1321, C13, E613