As colder winter temperatures came to the region, members of the community began to use their chimneys again. As in previous years, this leads to an increase in fires due to a lack of regular cleaning and maintenance on many of these chimneys. At 1629 hours on Thursday, Station 47 was alerted for the report of smoke coming from the roof of a dwelling. Engine 471 responded on the initial assignment along with units from other neighboring companies in the first Battalion. Engine 473, Tanker Support Unit 474, and Special Unit 476 also responded. Units arrived minutes later to find a two story dwelling with smoke showing from the chimney. A brief investigation found that the metal insert in the flue had broken and had ignited a fire within the chimney. After no extension into the dwelling was found, the assignment was downgraded to E471, E391, and TOW17. Units remained on the scene for approximately two hours working to extinguish the fire and perform overhaul operations.
January 3rd, 2008
Another Chimney Fire in Jacksonville’s First-Due Area (Fire Box 47-9)
Jacksonville Units: E471, E473, TSU474, SU476
Other Units: E391, TSU394, E382, E17, BC11